Our Postgraduate course is a level 7 qualification in event management, designed specifically for those who are looking for an in depth insight into the industry, wanting to learn about logistical event planning and develop their strategic skills. It covers a wide range of subjects (which you can find in the COURSE CONTENT tab above) and is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing, which is globally recognised for its professional courses in marketing.
This full-time course is run for 12 weeks, 5 days per week from 10am – 4pm. Followed by a 12 week placement with one of our partner companies.
- All our courses are held at Birkbeck, University of London in the heart of the Capital
- To give an in-depth overview of the event industry
- To develop you as a great event manager
- To develop your strategic and analytical skills
- To increase your confidence
- To help you build a network of industry contacts
- To prepare you for your event work placement and support you in getting employment in the industry
What you get:
- Interactive and fun teaching methods
- Globally respected lecturers each having their own area of expertise within events
- The opportunity to build relationships with your lecturers and guest speakers
- The opportunity to meet real-life clients and work on their events
- A guaranteed 3 month work placement in the event industry
- Volunteering and paid opportunities at various London-based events
- CIM accredited Postgraduate Diploma certificate on completion of the course
- A network of relevant industry professionals and peers
- Automatic membership of the Ashdown Academy Alumni
- The format of the course is experiential, hands-on and totally practical
- You will spend time at event sites, venues and other related industry locations
- Many guest speakers will give you further insight into specific areas
- The course fee for the Postgraduate Diploma is £3,995 (+ VAT)
- A 20% deposit is required to secure your place
- Course places are filled on a first come first served basis
Who can apply:
We recommend students have the following qualifications:
- A general Bachelors degree
- A relevant Higher BTEC National Diploma
- An International Baccalaureate
Individuals already working in the events, marketing or communications industry who do not have a degree or any other formal qualification should have at least two years relevant industry experience.
Individuals who have not worked in the events, marketing or communications industry and do not have any of the formal qualifications listed above should have at least three years alternative professional experience within a business environment.
For further information please contact the Course Co-ordination Manager on +44 (0)207 183 5129
Request a Brochure
This course covers the following subjects:
- Event Management Planning
- Marketing Events
- Experiential Marketing
- Social Media for Events
- Co-ordinating Events
- Wedding Planning
- Creativity in Events
- Sporting Event Management
- Celebrity Event Management
- Public Relations
- Fundraising Events
- Event Risk Management
- Event Production
- Event Documentation
- Organising Conferences
- Day in the life of an Event Manager
- Exhibition Management
- Eco-friendly Events
- Fashion Events
- Private Parties
- Pitching and Presenting
- Setting up your own Event Business
By the end of the course you’ll be able to:
- Explain the relevance and role of events within marketing and communications and predict the industry’s future
- Understand and analyse a client brief for an event, and critically assess its effectiveness to meet corporate objectives
- Propose and design credible event solutions for marketing and communications
- Develop, plan and manage the delivery process of an event
- Utilise your venue and supplier knowledge and capitalise on this for your clients
- Critically evaluate and justify the success (or failure) of an event
- Create innovative event strategies and seek out emerging event trends
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities
- Successfully build relationships with industry professionals
This course is designed to provide you with all the skills needed to create, plan, manage and bring to life live events. You’ll get an in-depth understanding of the event industry and a practical appreciation of the many considerations that need taking into account when marketing and producing an event.
You’ll be taught the fundamentals of marketing and communications and by the end of the course have the ability to apply your learning directly to an event. This will greatly enhance your worth as a professional event manager and give you a competitive edge when you enter the job market.
You’ll grow in confidence over the course and learn not only to manage projects but also the principles of leadership.
How we teach
We use a variety of teaching methods such as lectures, onsite visits and live examples so that you learn to the very best of your ability. You’ll have the chance to work individually and also as part of a team.
You’ll be taught by industry professionals and directly benefit from their wide and varied knowledge. All our tutors are down to earth and ‘human’ and will encourage you to interact in the sessions to get the very most out of the course.
How we will assess you:
Throughout the course you will be given a variety of tests and assessments to make sure that you are on track with your learning.
Group work and presentations:
To achieve results in the event industry you’ll need to prove yourself as a competent team player. You’ll therefore get lots of experience working in small groups to create event concepts, prepare presentations and even present them to a real-life client. You’ll even have the chance to put together a live event.
Experience your future:
Our teaching will ensure that you not only know in theory how to plan, market and organise an event, but that you can do it in practice. You’ll also be equipped to prepare strategically for any changes that need to be made during an event’s planning process, giving you a competitive advantage over others.
Your confidence will grow and your leadership skills will enhance your overall ability as an event professional.